Monday, January 08, 2007

To Torture or Not to Torture

Interesting Washington Post op-ed about torture from Scott Adams, creator of the Dilbert cartoons. Adams describes himself as having gone from 'pretty certain' to 'doubtful' about the effectiveness of torture.

I suppose that's progress.
The burden is on torture's proponents to produce some evidence that torture makes sense as a policy. I don't rule out the possibility that it can be effective in some cases, but if it's being done in my name, I want some frigging evidence that it works.

Makes me realize that civil libertarians are damn lucky torture is not, generally speaking, an effective means for obtaining information. If torture were highly effective, we'd be sunk trying to sell the 'principle' of the issue.

Lisa in Pittsburgh

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home